God will provide?? Think again..

God will provide?Think again

Since ages, I have heard sentences such as, “Believe in God he will provide for everything. He will take care of you. He will hear all your prayers.” Since the age of 14 I have been into questioning this stuff and was always into some or the other problem because of this. My parents often had arguments on this issue with me. They are strong believers of religion and God. I do not blame them; they belong to a family that has given 15 monks to the religion and a lot of knowledge to the religion. This kind of a family background is responsible for such strong belief in God. However, there is always an exception in everything and on 28th December 1985; this exception to their family was born in the form of their son. Well, as I grew up my parents came to know that I was different and they knew I had a very different thought process. My dad always supported my thought process but still tried to convince me about religion. I did not believe much in religion but I love my dad and hence did things he told me to do just to put a smile on his face. After all family is everything you have. He too compromised on the issue that come what may I will never believe in God and religion, he knew at least his son will never do something wrong and never hurt anyone.

One fine day my cousin called me up. He wanted to meet me as it had been a long time and we had not met each other. I regularly meet my cousins and spend time with them. He told me he wanted to take me for some seminar. I agreed.  I liked attending seminars. However, what I did not know was this was not a seminar. It was a ‘Pravachan Sabha’ (religious oratory/ religious orientation) of some very famous guru of our religion. I had read about this guru in the newspapers and wanted an opportunity to question him and show him the truth. I guess the opportunity came looking for me. My cousin and I greeted each other, had some snacks and he told me “Kunal this guru will surely change your thought process and incline you towards religion.” “Bhai (Bro), no guru of yours can do that because no one here knows what religion is. Everything is a hoax and just a show put on by some smart intelligent people just to sell the idea of religion. This is not going to help me but sure it will fill the pockets of this guru and his business class chelas.” My cousin did not say a word and just kept looking at me. We reached the venue of the so-called seminar on time, entered inside, and took our seats. After some time the programme started. First, someone from the organisers came and thanked everyone. Then he expressed his gratitude to the guru for being there and guiding them. Finally, the guru came forward to speak. He first chanted a sacred chanting of our religion, which everyone joined in and chanted. I however did not be a part of it. After the chanting was over, he spoke. “People, we are all just a grain of sand, we are negligible beings, we are nothing but puppets and everything is controlled, managed and created by him. He provides and we live. He provides us breath, he provides us with life and he is the only one who will be providing for our survival. We all are dependent on him for everything. Without him we do not exist.” Before he could continue any further I shouted, “Excuse me.” Everyone including the guru started looking here and there. “Excuse me. Mr.Guru. Yeah here it is me. Can I ask a few questions before you go ahead? I mean I have some doubts and who better than a guru to answer my questions isn’t it?” He looked at me and gestured me to come on stage. My cousin was sceptical. He thought this was not a good idea as there were highly respected people of our community sitting in the auditorium and he thought my act might bring upon a black-mark on our family’s name. Nevertheless, I had my questions. I wanted answers. I went up on stage and stood exactly besides the dais where the guru was sitting. I looked at him. I did not follow the normal religious practice of bowing to him as levied by our religion. I did not even give a proper salutation. “So Mr. Guru you were just saying that God will provide right?” “Yes he will.” “Well I believe everyone sitting here has common problems. Money, Love/family, health and above all security of life, could you just elaborate on how he will provide all this. I mean which bank account will he transfer money in, which grocery store he will send food grains from for free, which hospital will he get bypasses and other operations done for free, which life insurance policy will he give for free or even better how will he avoid death of anyone. Which marriage bureau will send a girl for me from, or may be which girl would he send to me for loving her I mean will it be Anushka Sharma, Jacqueline Fernandes something like that. Where will he put up security to destroy terrorist, which lane will he come down to clean up for cleaning India. Where will he be sitting in a government office to solve my queries, and if he is providing where my Rolls Royce is parked could you tell me more clearly.” People in the auditorium had mixed reactions. Some were laughing, some were angry and the organisers had organised for the security to throw me out, two well-built guards had already approached the stage to pick me up. The guru gestured them to stop. With a fake smile on his face he replied, “Have faith son he will provide. You should first have faith in him.” “Faith is it? Well I am 28. I was having faith in him since I was eight until the day I turned 14. I first went to pay my home electricity bill at that age, and when I told the bank manager that God would pay the bills, he laughed at first and then called up my father advising him to take me to a psychiatrist. Then, once at school when we had to pay the fees I told my Principal that God would pay the fees. My Principal first laughed and then suspended me for a few days for making fun of God. I was not making fun I had complete faith God will provide. However, it dawned upon me that God does not provide. My mom always told me, if you are in trouble pray and God will make your problems disappear and help you get your dreams. I did pray, instead of making my troubles disappear he made my girlfriend disappear and forget my dream to marry her he instead made someone else marry her. So God did not provide. Few days back people celebrated Ganpati Festival. Poor people spent huge chunks of money on the decorations. They have huge faith in God; let us ask them if they ever got back any money?  I guess no. There are so many people out there in the world who need money, health care facilities, proper food, education, clothing, a house that they can call their own, a future, however God will never provide to them. He will provide only to these rich people here so that they can organise such seminars for gurus like you in this air-conditioned auditorium. All this is hoax. How many of you even know the name of the security guard standing outside this building. Did anyone notice that he was coughing badly and it would be better if he rested? He is aged. It is not his age to work, but still he has to work for the need to feed his family, he may be having a lot of issues back home, did anyone just sit with him even for 10 minutes and buy him tea make him feel good, share his sorrows. God never provided anything to him. It is just a lie that God loves all his children. Has God provided security to the children in Iran, Iraq and places where terror is on its highest? No, children died, but we are sitting here in this AC hall and enjoying. Did we even shed a tear, for them, is this how, God provides. You talk about faith here. When a poor man has to pay rent for his house, his property owner does not have faith, he just throws them out. They cannot tell him God will pay you by cheque in this bank account. When the salary of a middle class man is late, he cannot tell the grocer that God will come down and pay your bills in cash. When the doctor says that the patient has to be operated is immediately, the patient’s family cannot say you know what doctor tell us your bank account number and God will RTGS the money into it. When the home loan has to be paid, I cannot tell the bank this time God is going to pay the EMI. The milk man who sells milk to us will not agree to it if I say you go downstairs God is standing he will pay. I cannot tell my parents not to worry about my future God will give me money and a house and Jacqueline Fernandez for marriage. Of course, they will kick me out or take me to a psychiatrist. Frankly speaking, God does not exist and he will never provide. Please stop this hoax do not fool people instead just sit with them talk to them and give them confidence it is more than enough. Everyone here has issues. They know they will have to solve them on their own, but a kind word or just a kind cup of tea would help them to energise. The moment you go out in the world and tell people that forget payments, forget terrorists, and forget issues God will provide that is where you see the real test of faith. That is where you will see that no one actually believes that God will provide. I know my thoughts may have provoked a lot sitting here to either beat me up, or black list my family from the community or even worst get me bashed up by hooligans and extort me, I do not mind but when I react remember it was not me but God providing.” I looked at the Guru and the organisers. The organisers were angry. The guru was confused and I could feel that he had the urge to scratch his head to find an answer for all my questions, but I knew he will not give me any explanations, I guess this insult was enough to pull out the con he was playing.  I looked at one of the organisers and told him “Dude why are you angry if this seminar was not successful and your money was lost and you did not get any profits, don’t worry God will provide, because your Guru says so. So give him your bank details.” Some organisers started laughing. I walked down the stage, held my cousins hand, pulled him out of the auditorium, and walked out. I bought a cup of ginger tea for the security guard, a packet of biscuits and sat with him having that cup of tea. The show inside was almost over and everyone was leaving. Everyone saw me sitting there with the security guard having tea. Some smiled; some came and just asked my name. Some gave money to the guard. They walked away. The main organiser, the owner of the auditorium drove towards the gate in his BMW, gestured the guard to come close. He spoke something to the guard. The guard returned. He had a huge wad of cash in his hands and tears of joy in his eyes. I knew he got his leave for rest and some money for medicines. I felt some tears at the corner of my eye. My cousin was looking at me and I wiped them out. I took my cousin’s jacket and gave it to the guard and told him “Kisan Kaka yeh jacket le lo, thik se araam karna aur kuch ho toh mujhe phone karna main aaunga (Kisan uncle take this jacket, rest properly, and if you need something give me a call, I will come.)” My cousin looked at me with a proud feeling. He cried too at the dilemma of this guard. We walked away. “So you knew his name is Kisan, How come?” “Well when we came here and you had gone to the loo I was standing here and chit chatting with him and asked him his name and shared some of his sorrows about his family.” “You were crying back there could you explain it.” “Who me? No I never cry.” My cousin knew I did. “Cool so finally you helped him but you gave him my jacket and money from my wallet. So you owe me a jacket and money.” “Don’t worry bhai God will provide.” We both laughed and kept walking. 

Comments

  1. Visiting your blog after such a long time :)

    LOVELY POST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Akriti. I appreciate the gesture. I am delighted you liked my work :))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE REAR VIEW MIRROR THEORY

The Spectacle Theory

For the Namesake......