The Video Game theory...... Go Win.


My dad passed away last year. It was a huge loss for me. Life, however, had to go on and so did I. I started collecting the scattered pieces of my life, of whatever was left. I got busy with finishing dad’s pending work and also launching my own freelance digital marketing business. I cannot say I was happy. A loss of your father is an irreplaceable loss, especially when he was more of a best friend rather than your father.
Engrossed in designing websites, brochures and other such stuff, as usual, my counselling work took a back seat. When life priorities are brutally placed, the first thing that goes out is free work, hobby and passion. Of course least to mention my novel had to be put to a pause once again. While at my work desk, I got a call from an old work colleague. It had been around 7 years we had spoken to each other let alone meeting. After exchanging the initial “How are you?” he slowly came to the point. He wanted to meet me as he wanted to discuss an issue. In my days back at Mumbai, working for 3 Global Services, most of my colleagues knew that I did freelance counselling work also. This colleague was not stranger to this fact, hence the call. I told him I had not taken any counselling cases recently and I can refer him to someone else, but he insisted so I didn’t oppose.
I told him I will visit him at his house in Mumbai. I reached to his house; we first went out for a ride on his bike just to relive the old days. We came back to his house and he told his wife to make tea for us. His 4 year old son was sitting in front of the TV and playing his video game.  He told his wife to take him away; however, the kid did not budge and started crying loudly. I told him, “Let him be, he isn’t disturbing us, don’t ruin his fun.” His wife let him be.
“Kunal, I will come straight to the point, you know we both left our jobs 10 years back to build our own businesses, you opted out of our idea of a joint venture because of family issues back home and you had to go back. Then I spent day in and day out working on building an empire and I always failed. I am so tired of failing, I am very sad; I feel like giving up, I feel like this is the end. I just don’t understand what to do, I keep failing and failing. I am very sad Kunal.” At this point he was in tears. His son looked at us, he came running to his father, and of course the kid was now a little scared.
I just picked up his kid and sat down on the floor with him playing the game. The kid was a little calm now. My friend looked at me and said, “Kunal please help me, I don’t want to be this sad.”
I told him, “I like this game, come let’s play the 2 player version.” He did just not understand why I was saying this. He said with a sad voice, “Life is playing games with me and you want me to play a video game, nice, right life makes fun of me now you sit and make fun of me.” I told his kid, “Oye tell Papa to play with us go.” The kid in his kiddish accent called out his dad, “Papa leth play.” It was just so cute. He sat down on the floor; his wife came with the tea. “Now, first finish the tea, then let’s play at least 2 levels of this game then I will solve your problem.”
He knew he had no choice; I had a reputation of being stubborn. “But the rules would be if your son says again then we play again, no stopping playing till he says again.” He now looked at me quizzically and said, “You have given up counselling work so you are just strolling around wasting time.” “It is nothing like that I have a solution for your problem, but first I want to play this game.” He reluctantly agreed to do so.
We started playing the first level, he lost, and I won. His kid shouted play again Papa win Papa win. We played again, He lost and I won again. His kid again shouted play again Papa win Papa win.
A man who has lost all hopes in his life, who thinks he has become a loser, at this juncture would cry and so did he. He was so tattered by life and so broken that even this small thing made him cry. Very few could have understood his pain. The third time he won. His kid started jumping in joy Kunal uncle lost Kunal uncle lost. He had a meek smile on his face and he hugged his son. Now, his son was sitting in his lap and he told me, “Ready for round 2 KP.” My friends called me KP. This time in the first round itself I let him win. His son again jumped in joy Papa won Papa won. After playing the game for 2 hours we got up. I yawned away in glory. “I need to leave now.” I said.
“Kunal, what about my problem, you never solved it.” He asked in a stern voice.
“Your problem (I laughed) has been already solved my friend.” I said.
He still didn’t understand and asked, “We did not discuss anything about it, and you did not give me any tips for coping with this sadness. How the hell did you solve my problem then?”
“That thing in your hand, this game remote, is the module of answers to your problems, sit down I will explain.” I gestured his kid to come to me, He was so cute I just could not resist picking him and seating him on my lap. He came running to me as he was now familiarised with me. I just sat there with this kid in my lap and said, “That remote there is your tool to fight all your problems, that game, is the answer to your question what to do, and this kid here in my lap is the answer to your sadness. That game remote is like your brain; use it to know what to do if something went wrong. That game is the lesson you should learn that when something goes wrong you don’t give up just start again and again till you don’t win. This kid of yours is all the motivation you need look at him and hear his words out loud ‘Papa Win Papa Win’. You have everything you need my friend to solve your issues. You do not need help; you need yourself, through the eyes of this kid.”
He was staring at me in complete silence. His kid was now playing with me and saying those words repeatedly, “Papa won Papa won.” He immediately hugged his kid and started crying. I did not stop him, those were not tears that were all the negativity coming out, and his wife came out hearing him cry. The whole family was together and this time not sad but happy.
I had done my job, I picked up my sack and started walking away, my friend came out of his house and called me, “Kunal, thanks” He said. “Papa Win Papa Win.” I said, shook his hand and walked away.
Life is very beautiful, don’t give up on it so easily start again and win. If you ever feel low look around there is a lot to motivate you and if you cannot find anything just look at any random kid. Visit your old school get yourself back from there, meet your old friends, let them reintroduce you to yourself. Go out for that bike ride let the breeze blow away all sadness, and if nothing works, just close your eyes listen to your own heart, it will never let you down. Everyone out there reading this “Go Win”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE REAR VIEW MIRROR THEORY

The Spectacle Theory

For the Namesake......